Monday, 9th January '06
2005 in a Nutshell (Or 40 Questions)
If anyone's noticed, I seem to have stopped doing these random quizilla things (thank heavens!), but every once in a while something halfway-thoughtful comes up. Thanks Qiong. Some of your answers (read: "NBK related things") were pretty amusing.
So I'm doing this to procrastinate and avoid doing readings.
1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
Hmm. In chronological order, I hope:
- Dealt with a major growing pain, and adolescent rite of passage, perhaps. *grin* And in the process told a certain Flummoxed Fish to go F*ck Himself. Tzo's right, I'm just too proud of that.
- Got the Drivers' Licence. Now that was a long time in coming. (Off Singapore's mandatory 1-year probation come 15 February 2006, woohoo!)
- Lead the production of a full one Dance Show, Evocation '05. Organistion stuff not the main issue, but having my Presidential head on the chopping block was the thing.
- Watched someone in the family pass away. It's not meant to sound insensitive, but there it is. And realised there are times a kid has to look after the parents too. It also involved becoming closer to some cousins and aunts.
- Became a corporate drone. In the course of which, learnt to have some legal interaction in CHINESE, oh my word. Try explaining "sub-service of divorce papers" on for size.
- Lived away from home and parents and all things familiar for *counts* 4.5 months now! And really got to know some international people. And went to class with people way out of my league.
- Had whole lobster, maritime style.
- Got an A+ for a Law assignment. Wonders will never cease, it was such a fluke.
- Went to NYC! And had a grossly expensive USD$70 dinner.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Only the ones about getting the Drivers' Licence and starting to go to church. Not the one about continuing to go to church, unfortunately. Haven't made any new ones, and am not likely to.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Err. Ariel was born a bit earlier than 2005, right? If yes, then no one did. If no, then 姐姐-Lily did. Die. I don't even remember how old my nieces are.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yeah. Miss you, Ah Kong.
5. What countries did you visit?
Sydney, Australia. Nova Scotia / Prince Edward Island, Canada. New York, Philadelphia, Maryland, Washington DC, U.S.A.
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
A father who will let me drive a car alone. *nudgenudgehinthintDad*
7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
13 January, NUS released exchange nominations results. Hello, Dalhousie. *wink*
8 March, Ah Kong's anniversary.
15 February, passed driving test after 2 years of stalling. First try - it's amazing what a smile and earnest look can do. Heehee. Remembered because this time in 2006, the dreaded neon probabtion plates will be BURNT.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
This is getting a bit repetitive, but dealing with Flummoxed Fish, and the driving test, and surving overseas.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I'm not sure. I haven't done anything I've regretted.
10.Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major beyond... OH. The temporomandibular joint affair. No biggie.
11.What was the best thing you bought?
Powerbook G4 and IPOD.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine. Nah, seriously:
- Kai. For taking SO MUCH crap from all us Smubs and always being around dispute her own affairs. You're invaluable, babe.
- Limin. For also always being so... there. Even from the Blue Mountains.
- Vicki. For looking after me so much in Halifax.
- Emma. For being my Halifax buddy and saving me from having to deal with the guys alone. Heh.
13.Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Flummoxed Fish. But that was long ago, it's all done. Not forgotten, evidently, but DONE.
14.Where did most of your money go?
Food. Invariably it ended up on my ass.
15.What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Exchange (the running away from home part), the Legal Aid Bureau internship (geek that I am), some Dance Ensemble stuff (the prospect of handing over to the next unsuspecting Executive Committee, especially).
16.What song will always remind you of 2005?
There is no one song, and you guys know how musicky I am:
- "Beached", Orbital
- "Fiona", EIC (just one of the many that reminds me of the sillier Wala's occasions with the Smubs and Blueberries)
- "Hidayah" (danced ad nauseum so that it's just STUCK IN MY HEAD all the time)
- Any silly Mambo songs... *chuckle*. (Because they remind me of Babs and Kai and JnJ)
- "Taylor", Jack Johnson (reminds me of Babs and Gnet)
- "Barrett's Privateers" and any number of PEI-related songs, most notably the traumatising "Do-dos and Woah-ohs", Kisschasy.
17.Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Please lor. This time last year I was coming up with elaborate schemes to castrate Flummoxed Fish. What do you think?
18.What do you wish you'd done more of?
19.What do you wish you'd done less of?
I don't know. Stoning (in the Singaporean sense), perhaps.
20.How did you spend Christmas?
In the good company of Tzo, Vic, Qiong and Ningz. At Harrison's, trying to look like we knew how to appreciate the Riesling, Biscuits and Gravy, Pan Roasted Haddock (I can't really remember) and that gorgeos Pear Dessert thing. And trying not to scream out loud at the price of it all.
I believe later it involved opening Chirstmas presents (yay, wooly scarf and... Vodka?), drinking the presents (thanks, Qiong for kicking over my last 15ml) and being rather Singaporean about it all. I have to say again, poor Vicki, and this time I mean it. I HONESTLY don't think you're an alcoholic.
22.Did you fall in love in 2005?
23. How many one-night stands?
24.What was your favorite TV program?
Tricky one. I watched a good bit of the O.C., Lost, Desperate Housewives and Prison Break. All pretty good, but nothing I would RAVE about.
25.Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26.What was the best book you read?
I can't remember the title exactly, but I browsed a couple of chapters in Borders. Something like "The Actor's Handbook". Very inspirational.
27.What was your greatest musical discovery?
I need to think about that. Maybe Bjork or Beck, though it wasn't the GREATEST in that sense of the word. Or Motley Crue, haha.
28.What did you want and get?
A little adult sensibility. Just a LITTLE.
29.What did you want and not get?
Flummoxed Fish? *rolls over laughing* This is getting to be a very amusing entry.
30.What was your favorite film of this year?
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, if you're talking about the favorite film the CAME OUT in 2005. But if you're talking about what I watched, then A Clockwork Orange is pretty damn good.
31.What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my ACTUAL birthday, I went to Kai's birthday party. Kinda funny isn't it?
But at what was the celebration of my own birthday, dinner at the Coffee Connosieur, where I had dinner served by my handsome waiter (*grin* I'm being rather nice about you, eh, Bert?). Very sweet, you darling Smubs. The amazing thing was that the MIA boys Ben, Lucas and Shaun were actually there.
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33.How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
I have a personal fashion concept?
34.What kept you sane?
Smubs, the 401 people, and others who played such important roles... people like the Parents, Jia, Liang, Mel (especially Mel during the whole DE stress saga!).
35.Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I don't fancy celebrities - not my style.
36.What political issue stirred you the most?
Singapore has political issues? *chuckle* But Qiong's right. The Nguyen Tuong Van affair gave me something to think about.
37.Who did you miss?
Are you KIDDING me? Everyone!
38.Who was the best new person you met?
Woah. I met so many new people this year that I refuse to answer this question.
39.Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005
Never refuse and invitation; never resist the unfamiliar.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
I'll get back to you on that. It will take some thinking.
[6 photographs developed.]
KOH EN YING! teach me how to put music on my blog. That you can stop from playing. email me SOON or dun blame me. MUHAHAHHA
Btw, i MISS YOU SO MUCH! *hugs and kisses* it's hard to update u manz... it's been so long and much.
use this code
i dunno where you store ur music on the blogspot thing, just insert the url where it says. you can alter the size of the controls, but those were the sizes i used.
crap. the code didn't come out. wait, i'll email you seperately.
OMG i can't believe you remembered the 15ml of vodka O-o I'd all but forgotten ^^ *lol* you found my post amusing? *amused* i didn't realise tt ^^
and, re. the comments on your previous post *ROTFL* poor vic. truly vic, you wanted to keep it secret? *lolol*