Sunday, 3rd January '10
The Entertainment Weekly 100 Classics of the Last 25 Years
Yet another movie meme before the end of the new year holidays, and the end of my self-indulgent blogging.
If I havenít seen it, the film is indicated in
If I saw it but would never watch it again, the film is marked with [X].
If I saw it and loved it, the film is listed in bold.
If I saw it but have no strong reaction, the film is listed in normal type.
And away we go!
1. Pulp Fiction (1994) -- I enjoyed this, not enough to say I loved it though. It was just a little bit TOO random.
2. The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-03) -- It's hard to argue with the sheer force that these movies are.
3. Titanic (1997) [X] -- I hardly blame the movie, it was a decent flick. It was just so overhyped - and so friggin' LONG - I just don't think I could sit through it a second time.
Blue Velvet (1986)
Toy Story (1995)
Saving Private Ryan (1998) -- There are some movies I'm a little embarrassed to say I haven't seen. This is one of them.
Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
8. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) -- I was a little underwhelmed by this one. I somehow expected to love it.
9. Die Hard (1988) -- I must have seen this. I just can't remember any of it.
10. Moulin Rouge (2001) -- Enjoyable, but a little overrated, I thought.
This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
12. The Matrix (1999) -- Another iconic film of my generation. I can't say I loved it, but I did feel that it was one of those movies that made me sit up and take notice, and read a good bit about it. It was hugely original and that bullet time filming effect was judiciously used to great effect.
15. Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Boogie Nights (1997)
17. Jerry Maguire (1996) -- I fail to see the big deal with this movie.
Do the Right Thing (1989)
19. Casino Royale (2006) -- I don't like the Daniel Craig James Bond. There, I said it. Ho hum.
20. The Lion King (1994) -- LOVE LOVE LOVE this one.
Schindlerís List (1993) -- I should be shot for not having seen this. I simply have been unable to ACQUIRE a copy of it.
A Room With a View (1986)
25. Shrek (2001) -- Animation. That's about all I can say about it.
Hoop Dreams (1994)
27. Aliens (1986) -- Wow, that was a long time ago. I can barely remember a thing.
Wings of Desire
29. The Bourne Supremacy (2004) -- What IS the deal with this movie? The book was boring, the movie was a same-old-same-old action flick.
30. When Harry Met SallyÖ (1989) -- Another one of those I saw so very very long ago...
Brokeback Mountain (2005) -- The film that spawned an urban dictionary entry (example of usage, "Wow, Sherlock Holmes and Watson, that's a very Brokeback relationship!"). I need to get off my ass and watch it sometime.
32. Fight Club (1999) -- Cult hit, I suppose. Yet another example of Ed Norton and Brad Pitt being serious actors. I am unable to do more than like this movie, simply because the twist at the end was so blindingly obvious.
33. The Breakfast Club (1985) -- Oh alright, this comes close enough to "love" status to put in bold. Perhaps more for nostalgic reasons, than any others. But I did really enjoy the Brat Pack era.
Fargo (1996) -- Another one I have to so something about this unwatched status for.
35. The Incredibles (2004) -- Heehee, this was throughly enjoyable.
36. Spider-Man 2 (2004) -- Brilliant comic book adaptation. That's all.
Pretty Woman (1990) -- It would take a lot to make me watch this.
38. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) -- I thought this movie was special. But a bit TOO special for me to love. In the same way that you'd respect Albert Einstein but you should as hell wouldn't marry him.
39. The Sixth Sense (1999) -- One of the best movies I'd ever seen in my life. The king of all unexpected twists, and was the beginning of my love affair with smart horror. Excellent storytelling, flawless acting, all round wow.
40. Speed (1994) -- Whatever they say about Keanu Reeves, this was a gripping movie, start to finish.
Dazed and Confused (1993)
The Player (1992)
45. Rain Man (1988) -- Good movie. How could you go wrong with Tom Cruise in the good days + Dustin Hoffman?
Children of Men (2006)
47. Men in Black (1997) -- Iconic once again. A little too bizarro for my tastes.
Scarface (1983) -- Yes yes yes I promise to get around to watching this. I have a DVD somewhere.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) -- Ditto the above.
The Piano (1993)
There Will Be Blood (2007)
The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad (1988)
53. The Truman Show (1998) -- Oh the premise of this was just heartbreaking.
Fatal Attraction (1987)
Risky Business (1983)
The Lives of Others (2006)
57. Thereís Something About Mary (1998) [X] -- I made it through the first 15 min. I turned it off becuase it was just gross.
58. Ghostbusters (1984) -- I'm sure I would have loved this. Just that I was too young to remember.
59. L.A. Confidential (1997)
60. Scream (1996) -- I enjoyed this.
61. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) -- I THINK I watched this.
Sex, Lies and Videotape (1989) -- I'm still trying to get a copy of this.
No Country For Old Men (2007) -- I owe it to my dignity to watch this soon.
65. Dirty Dancing (1987) -- Patrick Swayze. I do miss him.
Natural Born Killers (1994)
Donnie Brasco (1997)
All About My Mother (1999)
Broadcast News (1987)
72. Thelma & Louise (1991)
Office Space (1999)
Drugstore Cowboy (1989)
Out of Africa (1985)
76. The Departed (2006) -- Good, but give me the original Infernal Affairs anyday.
Sid and Nancy (1986)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
Waiting for Guffman (1996)
Michael Clayton (2007)
Lost in Translation (2003) -- I'll see it soon. SOON I say!
Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (1987) -- I want to see this so bad!
The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) -- Is this SERIOUSLY on this list?
Y Tu Mama Tambien (2002)
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997) -- Ok, no WAY I will subject myself to this.
Breaking the Waves (1996)
Napoleon Dynamite (2004) -- Soon soon soon!
91. Back to the Future (1985) -- Haha! Childhood memories. I could NOT get enough of Marty and the ridiculous Prof.
Menace II Society (1993)
Ed Wood (1994)
Full Metal Jacket (1987) -- There must be some kind of award for stocking up movies in my collection that I have never had the time to watch!
In the Mood for Love (2001)
Far From Heaven (2002)
98. The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) -- I didn't really GET this film.
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut (1999) -- Listening and singing along to "What Would Brian Boitano Do?" 853 times doesn't count, does it?
[1 photograph developed.]
eh. didn't you watch schindler's list???? they showed it at sch in sec 2!!!! pretty sure the whole school was in that screening... XD